Web Sites for Journalists
Here are links to useful information of importance to journalists.
The sites below are arranged under the following topic names.
Some sites are listed under more than one topic name.
of American Politics
- Welcome to the 1996 Almanac of American Politics, the definitive
guide to the American political scene. Written by renowned political
writers Michael Barone and Grant Ujifusa and published by National
Journal, the Almanac provides colorful profiles and insightful
analysis of all members of Congress and Governors -- and the
people and politics of their districts and states. On PoliticsUSA,
the Almanac is searchable and updated frequently. So dive into
the online version of the book that George Will called "the
Bible of American politics."
- CNN/Time AllPolitics
- CQ's American Voter
- Congressional Quarterly online look at current politics....Where
information IS power in government and politics.
- 2 Minute
- One of the biggest problems many of us face in our modern
world is information overload. There is too much information
and too little time to process it. That is why I created the
2-Minute Activist. Each week I go through over 200 pieces (from
listservs or friends), looking for an action that can be done
by fax, phone or e-mail, by any US citizen. When I find a good
strong action, I mail it out. Each mailing also contains a valuable
resource for the online activist.
- Here is an extensive list of environmental-related links
arranged by topic.
- Mendocino Environmental
- Environmental information about one of the most active environmental
communities in California. Information about environmental groups
in county, links to environmental information, and articles from
the Mendocino Environmental Center newsletter.
- California State Home Page
- The California Home Page is an initiative of the Governor's
Council on Information Technology, set out in its 1995 report
to Governor Wilson entitled, "Getting Results".
- Congressional Record, United Nations, Patent Office, Federal
Reserve Board, General Services Administration, etc.
- Library of Congress
- Choose a topic, see what's new, or search our Web pages and
- Wired Magazines irreverant look at current politics.
- Vote Smart Web
- Project Vote Smart is a voter's self-defense system that
provides voters with factual information on candidates and elected
- Blue Ribbon
Campaign for Online Free Speech
- Online campaign for online freedom of speech, press, and
- In 1970, Earth Day was founded to focus attention on environmental
concerns and find grass-roots solutions. This year, CNN Interactive's
Earth Day page offers facts on the environment, helpful hints,
pointers to related sites on the Net, and continuous coverage
of the events and issues surrounding Earth Day 1996.
and Doublethink HomePage
- The book Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell is one which
you should read. The totalitarian governments which are depicted,
and the social straight-jackets which were manufactured, resemble
today's world situation in many ways.
- Welcome to the StudentCenter. This service provides career-related
information for college and graduate students and recent graduates.
Communication Sites Around the World
- This list compiles Communications, Journalism and Media sites
in universities around the world. The sites are sorted by region
- Global Journalism
- Includes links: Newpapers on the Web, a searchable index
of journalism periodicals, the WWW Virtual Library page, and
Journalism on the Internet
- Lost? Frustrated? On deadline? Just CLICK HERE FOR AN EASY
ROADMAP to hundreds of Internet resources -- designed to help
all journalists dig for their stories.
- Hot list of links to schools with Journalism Departments.
related to Journalism
- A hot test list of links to newsgroups discussing issues
of interest to journalists.
- San Francisco State
University Dept. of Journalism
- Santa Rosa Junior
College Journalism Dept.
- CNN Interactive
- The magazine of FAIR
- EXTRA! is the award-winning bimonthly magazine of Fairness
& Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR).
- Pacifica Radio
- Pacifica is the nation's first listener-supported, community-based
radio network: KPFA Berkeley (94.1), KPFK Los Angeles (90.7),
WBAI New York (99.5), KPFT Houston (90.1), WPFW Washington, D.C.
(89.3) and 57 affiliates in 27 states.
- San Francisco Bay
- An independent, locally owned and edited newspaper "IT
IS A NEWSPAPER'S DUTY TO PRINT THE NEWS AND RAISE HELL."
Wilbur Storey, Statement of the aims of the Chicago Times, 1861
- Cosmic Mother
- The Mother Load has three searches: The Insane Search (the
most thorough metasearch), The Web Search (a simplified metasearch),
and The Mother Load Search (a local directory search).
- Deja News Research Service
- The premiere usenet search utility. Search newsgroup postings
by keyword or phrase.
- How to find
people's e-mail addresses
- In a world population of several billion, finding someone's
address can be a chore. we have brought together most of the
best and most useful methods for finding an e-mail address. Note
well, however, that the more information you have to start with,
the more likely it is that your search will be successful.
- This is the MetaCrawler Beta Server. We're testing out a
new architecture and some other enhancements; please use and
experiment with it as much as you're able.
- MetaSearch - Starting
- oint - MetaSearch enables you to search the Web's most extensive
databases using one central search resource. Our goal is to provide
your starting point to search the Web.
- Lumberjack On-line
- Humboldt State University student newspaper.
- The Oak Leaf is Santa Rosa Junior College's award-winning,
student newspaper, and is published Thursdays, twelve times per
semester. Printed circulation is 6,000 copies. Over 1,500 articles
[Back to Mendocino College
Eagle Web Home Page]
Last Update: 3/13/98